Monday, November 14, 2011

No Meat, Day 2

So you might think I'm nuts, but I'm going to go this week with no meat.  I'm doing it for a couple of reasons.  First, I'm doing it as a fast...I know it will not be easy for a person who likes food (i.e. cows and piggies) as much as I do, but I also know that it will be worth it. And fasting isn't supposed to be easy.  Duh.  I am praying that the Lord will see that I'm making this small sacrifice and reward me richly.  It could happen. 

I'm also doing it for health reasons.  I've been having weird chest pains/attacks of my respiratory system or something like that and I think it's related to my awful dietary habits.  Plus, I'm trying to make dietary changes one step at a time.  2 weeks ago today I gave up Diet Coke.  More for the aspartame than anything else.  However, because I'm not drinking Diet Coke, that means I also haven't had a soda in two weeks.  Bonus!!  Coffee, tea and water.  And Kool-Aid.  What can I say?  Sometimes I just gotta have something other than "bland" to drink. 


Guess I'm trying to knock down my list of vices.  Two pretty big ones are gone: cigarettes and Diet Coke.  Yes, chocolate is on that list but way down at the bottom.  Cut a girl some slack, would ya?  I figured the next one on the list would be meat.  Then we'll move on to, I don't know yet.  Gotta get through this one first.

And I have to say it's been pretty darn easy!  I'm so excited about this that I can't stand it!  There are just so many ways to get protein - ways that taste good, even!  Last night I had some black bean soup stuff that my husband made. Yum-O! Today I think I'll have a big, fat salad and pasta for dinner.  I feel pretty confident about this.  I will be posting updates on how the meat-less days go.  Maybe I'll go longer than a week.  All I know for sure is I started with a goal of one week and I guess I'll go from there.  Hopefully I'll start to see less and less of myself in the mirror.  I am so huge now it's not even funny.  And I don't mean huge in the sense that skinny girls who complain of "I'm soooo fat" when they're having their period mean.  I mean that if I haven't seen you since I moved up to Yankee, TX then you would very likely not recognize me.  And I'd have to be glad for that because if there is anything good about being far away from everyone I know, it's that you can't see me at my largest self.  In any case, I'm doing what I can to change that.  Baby steps, people. 

As far as other stuff goes, hmmm, let's see.  Jacob's football season is over.  We didn't let him sign up for basketball because he really needs to learn to workout and in the off-season he can learn some weight-training techniques.  This is necessary because he's got some little boy messing with him in Athletics and Jake needs to learn that he has the ability to protect himself. 

Also, teacher conferences were last week for Aaron and Connor's classes and those went very well.  Aaron is super smart and charming, yada yada yada.  Connor is borderline-genius.  Really.  That's what her teacher said!  Wow!  That is amazing.  Not that she is, just that there is a teacher out there who is willing to voice it.  She actually said that she hopes we stay in Aubrey because she would like to be able to keep up with Connor's life.  She feels that she's destined to do great things and wants to be able to see her excel.  Again, Wow!  I know that her last teacher was always talking about how great she is and how blessed she (the teacher) was to be able to teach her.  I just had no idea she'd come into her "own" or whatever in such a way.  I pray that she continues down this path. 

Job news:  I had an interview last Tuesday with an optometry office.  I think the interview went well, but it ended very abruptly. Weird.  I guess we'll see.  Also, the husband got a couple of encouraging emails last week so hopefully God has decided that it's time for him to go back to work.  I pray, pray, pray that this is the case.  Bills are due.  Christmas is almost here.  We are so anxious to see what God has in store for us.  As Jacob would say (at age 3 or so) "it's gonna be so great!"

God Bless You! 

No comments: